Wednesday 11 May 2016

Balancing on the beach

We all have that basic urge to throw stones into the sea when we're at the beach, don't we? I do, too, and I also like to pile stones on top of each other, or next to each other, or balance stones on pieces of wood, or wood on wood...

Here's a stone circle I made while staying in a yurt near Machynlleth, and pebble feet plus a quartz line meandering across different stones. And more recently, here's a little tower I made last weekend on the beach in West Sussex. There are a couple of shingle spits projecting out into the sea and on this one the tide was coming in from both sides. I made a five-stone tower and retreated to the 'mainland' to watch it be washed away.
On the way back to the motorhome, I found a length of wave-washed wood lying on the shingle, so I scooped a hollow with my heel, stood it upright and heaped stones around it, then placed a lichen-covered stone and an oyster shell on top of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment